I specialize in writing deeply reported digital and magazine features about the environment and biocultural diversity across the Mediterranean and West Asia. I’m especially interested in traditional and indigenous environmental knowledge, food sovereignty, pastoralism, drylands and agrobiodiversity.
The following pieces give an idea of my work—and the kinds of stories I’d like to write more of.
- Digital feature: The revival of a historic journey across Spain
- Digital feature: Southern Spain’s ancient water network sustains life but faces an uncertain future
- Digital feature: In Iraq’s marshlands, researchers are racing to document a disappearing dialect
- Digital feature: When planting trees does more harm than good
- Magazine feature: Water Wars
I also write about science and research across West Asia and North Africa, mostly features but also the occasional profile or news story.
- Feature: Ancient systems keep water flowing
- Feature: Sowing a secure future beyond seed banks
- Profile: Safaa Kumari: Nurturing seeds of hope
Forever curious, one of my favourite parts of my work is getting to dive in and research stories and topics in-depth. I offer methodical and nuanced desk-based research, thorough source interviews and on-the-ground reporting, with a focus on environment, climate and human security.
My research services can support reporting projects, advocacy groups, non-governmental organizations, books, documentaries and podcasts.
As a journalist, I understand firsthand the importance of sharp editing and engaging writing. I provide professional editing and copy-editing services to selected clients, including media outlets, advocacy groups, non-governmental organizations and think tanks.
My editing services span a range of content types, from news and web content to reports and white papers.
Contact me at kira.a.walker[at]gmail[dot]com to discuss potential projects.